- Who wrote the document?
- When was it written?
- Where was it written?
- Why was it written?
Step 2: Closely read the document
- Underline key words the author used
- Summarize what the document is about
Step 3: Contextualize the document
- What was going on at the time that might have influenced the person or people who created the document or are described by it?
- Can you think of any noteworthy events or trends?
Step 4: Make a claim
- How did the individual stand up for a principle or a belief?
- What were some challenges or risks involved in taking such a stand?
- What choices did the individual have in choosing to take a stand?
- What might have been some consequences and effects of their actions?
- Why do you think the person acted the way s/he did?